We recommend that you call us on (+45) 72 22 27 80 once you have moved to Denmark and registered with the Danish National Register (Folkeregisteret). We will then generate your tax card. Please inform us of how much you expect to earn and of any other income and deductions and allowances you may have.,

All citizens in Denmark are required to have a NemKonto. It is an ordinary bank account used for your Danish salary and any amounts you are entitled to from the public authorities. We use your NemKonto if you are entitled to a tax refund.

You can choose a Danish or a non-Danish bank account as your NemKonto.

Register a Danish account as your NemKonto

You can register your Danish account as your NemKonto in two ways by:

Register a non-Danish account as your NemKonto

Please call us on (+45) 72 22 27 80 when you come to Denmark as an au pair. You will have to pay tax on your pocket money and your free accommodation. You do so by entering the relevant amounts in your preliminary income assessment (forskudsopgørelse) and we will then send you giro transfer forms for your tax payments. Your income will automatically be transferred to your tax assessment notice (årsopgørelse) at the end of the year.

If you come to Denmark to study, you might be liable to pay tax. In order to be correctly registered, please call us or write to us and tell us:

  • Will you be working as well as studying?
  • Do you have your own business while you are studying?
  • Do you know if you are liable to pay tax in your home country?

Students from certain countries may be eligible for an additional tax deduction. Please check here to see the list of countries in Danish.

If these rules apply to you, please complete and submit form 04.062 including documentation that you are registered with the school/university here in Denmark.

If your application is approved and your deduction is accepted in your preliminary income assessment, you must remember to enter your deduction on your tax return.

If you come to Denmark to work as a researcher or a highly paid employee, a special tax scheme, allowing a lower tax rate on your earned income, may apply to you. However, you need to meet certain conditions to apply for the scheme.

Please see Researchers and highly paid employees for further information.

When you move to Denmark, you are under obligation to inform us about your assets and savings outside Denmark. This could be non-Danish property, accounts/deposits, securities etc. Each year you should enter such amounts in your tax return or tax assessment notice.

If you have life and pension insurance, etc. outside Denmark you should complete and submit form 49.020, Declaration L

Read more in Danish about declaring non-Danish assets, property and pension schemes

Please call us on (+45) 72 22 27 80 when you return to Denmark as we will need to see if you are registered correctly. If you need a tax card, we will generate one for you at the same time.

If you are planning to move or have just moved to Denmark, we recommend that you visit our guide to working in Denmark

For other practical matters about moving to Denmark, visit lifeindenmark.dk and workindenmark.dk  

Please see our legal guide (in Danish) for further legal information.