Each year you have to report your income and your deductions. In some cases, you receive a tax assessment notice automatically and in other cases you need to complete a tax return to obtain a correct tax assessment notice.

It is very rare that you cannot file your tax return in our online self-service system E-tax (TastSelv). If this is the case, please send the tax return forms to us.

If you are registered for Digital Post you will not receive the printed forms from us. Go to the relevant forms here.

Log on to see your tax assessment notice/tax return

Log on to E-tax (TastSelv) and select ‘Ret årsopgørelsen/selvangivelsen’ (Correct tax assessment notice/tax return). At the very bottom you can click 'Kontakt os' (Contact us) if you need boxes to declare non-Danish tax matters (select 'Udlandsforhold' (Non-Danish tax matters).

You live in Denmark (full tax liability)

When you live in Denmark and have non-Danish income, loans or property outside Denmark, you receive a tax return with a section for your non-Danish tax matters. Here, you need to enter the information on your non-Danish tax matters as it is not automatically stated on your tax assessment notice.

Declaring your income when you live in Denmark and have non-Danish income and/or non-Danish property. (Only in Danish)

You live outside Denmark (limited tax liability)

When you live outside Denmark and have income or property in Denmark, you usually receive a tax assessment notice automatically. This notice will contain the information that has been provided to us throughout the year by your employer, bank, etc.

As all income information is automatically transferred to your tax assessment notice, it is your responsibility to make sure that the information is correct. If, for example, you have been granted tax exemption on your pension or state education grant (SU), you must enter the part of your income that is tax-free in Denmark in box 28 of your tax return. If you have entered a deduction for transport between home and work or a travel deduction in your preliminary income assessment, you also need to make sure that these amounts are stated in your tax assessment notice as they are not always transferred to your tax assessment notice automatically.

You can provide the information via E-tax (TastSelv) or by letter to Skatteforvaltningen
Nykøbingvej 76
4990 Sakskøbing

Cross-border workers

If you want to apply the rules for cross-border workers, you need to click ‘Ret årsopgørelsen/oplysingsskemaet’ (Correct tax assessment notice/tax return) and then click ‘Vis’ (Show) next to ‘Grænsegængerdata’ (Cross-border worker data).

For you to be considered a cross-border worker, your Danish salary, pension benefits or income from self-employment must be at least 75% of your total annual income. Your total annual income is made up of both your Danish and your non-Danish income, but after the deduction of the expenses involved in generating that income (deduction for transport between home and work, trade union fees and contributions to an unemployment fund, for example).

In the 75%, you can only include the income on which you are subject to tax in Denmark. When you calculate the 75%, you should include salary, unemployment benefits, sickness benefits, pension benefits, early retirement benefits and income of a similar nature on which you pay tax in Denmark.

If you are subject to full tax liability and want to apply the rules for cross-border workers, you cannot use E-tax (TastSelv), but instead you must submit forms 04.003 and 04.032.

You can send us the information by letter to 
Nykøbingvej 76
4990 Sakskøbing

Read more about the cross-border worker rules

Non-Danish currency must be converted into Danish kroner on your tax return. You should use the exchange rate at the time of payment.

Please be aware that if you use our currency converter, Danmarks Nationalbank’s average exchange rate will be used to calculate the foreign currency in question for the income year.

Please see the current exchange rates at Danmarks Nationalbank’s website

If you have moved to or left Denmark in the course of the year and your tax liability has changed so that you are going from being subject to full tax liability to being subject to limited tax liability or vice versa, you cannot use E-tax (TastSelv) to file your tax return for the relevant year.

Instead, you complete one or more forms:

If you also have a business and/or rental property, you also have to compete:

Moreover, you have to compelet and send:

Submit your forms to us

This is how you submit your forms digitally:

  1. Log on to E-tax (TastSelv)
  2. Select 'Kontakt' (Contact)
  3. Select 'Skriv til os' (Write to us)
  4. Select 'Indsend/Indberet til os' (Submit/report to us) (this could be tax returns/form 04.076 tax return with two periods of tax liability
  5. Enter the information
  6. Attach the forms
  7. Click 'Send'

You have now submitted your tax return.

You can also send the forms by regular post to:
Nykøbingvej 76, Bygning 45
4990 Sakskøbing

Deadline for submitting your 2020 tax return

You may send your tax 2020 return/tax returns to us no later than 1 September 2021. (The deadline has been extended due to COVID-19).

You will receive Digital Post from all public authorities unless you have been exempt from Digital Post or if you are not subjet to registration. If you have signed up for Digital Post, you will no longer receive printed tax return forms etc. 

If you have signed up for Digital Post but cannot report your information in E-tax (TastSelv) as according to our information you have two periods of tax liability, we have sent your an email containing links to the form you should use.

If you have not signed up for Digital Post, you will receive a printed copy of your tax return no later than late May/early June. It is irrelevant for your access to E-tax whether you have signed up for Digital Post or not.

Read more about Digital Post.