We recommend that you call the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) on (+45) 72 22 27 80 once you have moved to Denmark and registered with the Danish National Register (Folkeregisteret). We will then generate your tax card. In order for us to do so, you need to know how much you will be earning and any other income and deductions and allowances you expect to have.

Please call the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) on (+45) 72 22 27 80 when you come to Denmark as an au pair. You will have to pay tax on your pocket money and your free accommodation. You do so by entering the relevant amounts in your preliminary income assessment (forskudsopgørelse) and we will then send you giro transfer forms for your tax payments. Your income will automatically be transferred to your tax assessment notice (årsopgørelse) at the end of the year.

If you come to Denmark to study, you might be liable to pay tax. In order to be correctly registered, call us or write to us and tell us:

  • Will you be working as well as studying?
  • Do you have your own business?
  • Do you know if you are liable to pay tax in your home country?

Students from certain countries may be eligible for an additional tax deduction. Please check here to see the list of countries in Danish.

If these rules apply to you, please submit form 04.062 including documentation that you are registered with the school/university here in Denmark.

If your application is approved and your deduction is accepted in your preliminary income assessment, you must remember to enter your deduction on your tax return.

Please see Coming to Denmark to study for further information

If you come to Denmark to work as a researcher or a highly paid employee, a special tax scheme, allowing a lower tax rate on your earned income, may apply to you. However, you need to meet certain conditions for the scheme to apply.

Please see the specific conditions at Tax scheme for foreign researchers and highly paid employees

Duty of disclosure

When you move to Denmark, you are under obligation to inform the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) about your assets and savings outside Denmark. This could be foreign property/deposits, securities etc., which you should declare in your tax return.

Duty to declare

You need to inform us if you have life and pension insurance, etc. outside Denmark by submitting form 49.020 Declaration L. See the form for instructions.

We now automatically receive information about accounts and securities in foreign deposits. As a result, the duty to declare was abolished for foreign accounts and deposits as of 31 December 2018.

Please call the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) on (+45) 72 22 27 80 when you return to Denmark as we will need to see if you are registered correctly. If you need a tax card, we will generate one for you at the same time.

If you are planning to move or have just moved to Denmark, we recommend that you read the guide Tax in Denmark - an introduction to the Danish tax system for non-Danish speakers.

For other practical matters about moving to Denmark, visit http://www.lifeindenmark.dk and https://www.workindenmark.dk  

Please see our legal guide (in Danish) for further legal information.