You must register your business for VAT at Please log on to E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv) to file your VAT return. Below you can find information on VAT filing deadlines and how you pay your VAT.

The Danish Parliament (Folketinget) has passed an aid package for corona-hit businesses

This means that VAT filing and payment deadlines have been extended.
At the same time is has become possible to obtain a VAT loan free of interest.
Please read more at 

File your VAT return

Register your business for VAT at

Before filing your first VAT return, you should make sure that you are registered for VAT at You can read more about VAT registration below on this page.

If you want to be prepared for filing your first VAT return, please read up on how you make your VAT accounts.

When you are ready, you can use our guide to filing your VAT return which you will also find below. It includes a video showing you how to file your return and pay your VAT.

Please make sure that you have the correct access ot E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv).

 You can file your VAT return in E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv). Below is a video explaining how to file your VAT return in E-tax for businesses.


You can also find receipts for already filed VAT returns in E-tax for businesses under 'Moms' (VAT).

Please also see the below video on how you file and pay your VAT (2:51 minutes).


Step-by-step guide to filing your VAT return and paying VAT

Step-by-step guide to correcting your VAT return or payment


Nets (PBS)

If you want to pay your VAT bills via Nets (PBS), you can set up a direct debit in E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv).

Sign up for Nets direct debit service (PBS)

Online banking

If you pay your VAT via online banking, you need to use the payment ID shown on the receipt for your VAT declaration. You can also find the payment ID under ‘Stamoplysninger' (Master data) in your tax account in E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv).

Payment to your tax account

Visa/Dankort and MobilePay

On the receipt page you can choose to pay with your Visa/Dankort or via MobilePay. You have this choice no matter if you file your VAT return on your computer or mobile phone.

Non-Danish bank account

Remember to state your SE number (VAT registration number), for example in the comments field.

Payment to the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) from a foreign bank account

IBAN: DK87 0216 4069 1633 94
BIC/Swift code: DABADKKK
Account: 02164069163394
Account holder: the Danish Tax Agency

Timely payment

Your payment is timely if:

  • You pay via online banking and the payment is withdrawn from your account no later than the final due date, and if payment is made according to the bank's terms and conditions for transfers. Please note that banks may have different deadlines for when a transfer is handled on the same day.
  • You pay by means of giro transfer forms no later than the final due date.
  • You pay by means of Nets Leverandørservice (Supplier Service) and have approved the payment transfer via E-tax for businesses no later than 4 p.m. on the banking day before the final due date.
  • You pay by requesting your bank to make a transfer from your account to the account of the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) no later than the day before the final due date.

Additionally, we recommend that you make your payment within the deadline and no sooner than five days before the final due date. Please see Payments to your tax account for further information.

Generally, if you are a self-employed business owner, you must register your business for VAT. You register for VAT at Once you have registered, you will be given a CVR no. (business registration no.)/SE no. (VAT no.) and a registration certificate.

Revenue of less than DKK 50,000

If you are self-employed and your business's sales subject to VAT are less than DKK 50,000 over a 12-month period, it is up to you if you want to register for VAT.

If you register for VAT, you need to charge, declare and pay VAT even if your sales subject to VAT are less then DKK 50,000.

Revenue of more than DKK 50,000

You must register for VAT if your business's sales subject to VAT exceeds DKK 50,000 over a 12-month period.

If you know that your sales will exceed DKK 50,000, you must register no later than 8 days before you start your business.

Register your business at (link in Danish)

See your registration certificate (link in Danish)

Services exempt from VAT

If you sell certain services, you are exempt from VAT. As a general rule, you pay payroll tax instead of VAT. Services that are exempt from VAT include certain types of healthcare treatment services or teaching services.

You can have both sales that are subject to VAT and sales that are exempt from VAT, for example if you sell goods such as lotions and provide VAT-exempt healthcare treatment services.

You only have to pay VAT on the sales subject to VAT.

Services exempt from VAT

Special registration

Be aware that in some cases your business needs a special registration in addition to the ordinary VAT registration. This applies, for example, when:

  • Your business imports goods from countries outside the EU. In that case, you must register as an importer at
  • Your business rents out commercial property and charges VAT on the rent. In that case you must complete form no. 31.001. Please note that the form is only available in Danish.

Form 31.001: Frivillig registrering på udlejning af fast ejendom (Optional registration of renting out property) (form in Danish)

Change your VAT settlement period

At you can apply for a shorter VAT settlement period, for example quarterly settlement periods instead of half-yearly settlement periods. It is not possible to apply for a longer settlement period than what you already have.

Revenue treshold for VAT settlements
Size of businessAnnual revenue (DKK)Settlement period
Small businesses 0-5 million Half-yearly
Medium-sized businesses 5-50 million Quarterly
Large businesses More than 50 million Monthly

The Tax Agency can change your VAT settlement period

Each November, the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) assesses whether your VAT settlement period is appropriate based on your VAT declarations for the most recent period from 1 July the year before until 30 June.

We can only grant you longer settlement periods if you have declared and paid VAT throughout the 12-month period.

If we change your settlement period, you will be advised of the change in your digital mailbox. The change will take effect on 1 January the following year.

If your business has purchased electronic equipment (PC, mobile phone, etc.) from a wholesaler in the period of 1 July last year until 30 June this year and you have calculated your output VAT according to the rules on reverse charge, such purchases are included in the calculation of your revenue. And this revenue is the basis for changing the settlement period. However, such purchase may not be included in the revenue.

We do not know the amount of such purchase and therefore we ask you to contact us if your settlement period has been changed to a shorter settlement period due to the amount of output VAT including reverse charge. Please contact us by email via E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv) under the tab ‘Kontakt' (Contact).

Check to see if the Danish businesses you deal with are registered for VAT.

If you are selling goods or services exempt of VAT to businesses in other EU countries, you must be able to document that the buyer is a business.

Search VAT numbers in Denmark (link in Danish)

Search VAT numbers in Denmark (Website of the European Commission)

Special VAT regulation applies if your business provides telephone services, electronic services or radio or TV broadcast services. This is called VAT One Stop Shop.

You need to settle VAT in the country where your customers live or stay in general. You need to be able to document this, even if you expect your customers to be Danish.

For further information in Danish, see VAT mini One Stop Shop.

Please see our legal guide (in Danish) for further legal information.